Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Pink and Black Panties




Awhile ago, Kaia decided that she had advanced past the stage of humoring people with the 18-month-old question of "what color is this?" In her mind, it seems, the trick is old, the game is outdated and no longer fun or challeging. It is plainly time to move on from such an elementary routine. So in her creative way she has changed the game to produce new and inventive color combinations that leave people bewildered and with "no words" when their question is answered. Last week we began our journey in potty-training. I bought Kaia brand new panties (light blue with pictures of Cinderella on them) and she was all-too excited to tell EVERYONE about them!! So it was no surprise that Kaia wanted to call Grandma to tell her about her new panties. I hand Kaia the phone and she proudly proclaims, "Grandma, Kaia is wearing panties!" I then hear Grandma's muted voice respond, "What color are your panties?" And Kaia replies, very matter-of-factly, "They're pink and black." SILENCE. (I am standing about 3 feet away from Kaia, when I clearly and loudly hear Grandma's response:) "Eh hem. Does GRANDMA need to buy Kaia new panties?" I quickly lunge for the phone, horrified, and reply: "Mom, I am SO sure I bought my BABY pink and black panties!" To which she quickly and innocently retorts, "Well, I didn't think so . . ." and then a little more jibing, "You'd better not be putting my grandbaby in those "Nasty-pants"!" (a phrase invented by my mom when I was a Junior in H.S., that I cannot, to this day, live down!!) Ahh, the imagination of a 2-year old! (and of a concerned Grandma!)



2 comments:

Heidi said...

Ha! I love it - nasty pants! It helps that I can totally hear your mom saying that too!

WELCOME TO THE BLOGOSPHERE! I'M SOOOO GLAD YOU'RE HERE!!!

Anonymous said...

That's my girl!! Oh wait...no comment.