Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Los Obreros de la Viña


On Labor Day, we got to "labor" in the church-owned vineyard--each ward has a select number of rows to manage each year, so everyone is out Labor Day weekend to cut the grapes and lay them out to dry into raisins. These raisins are then shipped througout the world to needy families through the Humanitarian Aid Program.


Cute honey


We layed the grapes out on butcher paper in a 'U' shape, and then filled in the center--they then bake in the California sun, transforming into those yummy California Raisins! "Oooh, oooh, I heard it through the grapevine!"




It felt good to "labor" for such a worthy cause!

6 comments:

The Coolest Allen Family said...

At first I couldn't figure out why the church would own a vineyard. I forgot about raisins. How cool is that. Way to "labor all of your days", or at least that day. :)

Heidi said...

That is so cool!

Angela, were you hoping they were going to go back to wine for the sacrament?

Elieson Family said...

Wow, I love it! Reminds me of my mission - there were vineyards everywhere...

Heidi said...

Kendra, (or should I call you Aaron?) check your email for your invite!

Logan and Ashley said...

How cool. What a fun activity!

Anonymous said...

Did y'all enjoy the wine tasting afterwards?! Bet it was quite the party!