Friday, February 20, 2009

Our Little Sunbeam


Kaia got to go to her first Primary Pancake breakfast to meet her new teachers and be served breakfast by the Bishopric--(yes, I brought the first-of-year pajama party and breakfast tradition to Fresno--couldn't leave my Sunbeam hanging! All had a great time, though the bishopric didn't realize what they were in for--cooking for 50 kids and about 20 adults!)

Well, Kaia loves Primary! She volunteers to hold the reverence sign every week as the kids walk in, loves to sing her loudest to the songs, and loves raising her hand to answer questions--she especially loves her darling Sunbeam teachers! All good things. So, this past month was my month to set up and conduct in Primary. Since church starts at 9am, I go Saturday afternoon to get the room all ready. A couple of weeks ago, Aaron and the kids came to help, and while Aaron and I were arranging chairs, Kaia decided to give an "impromptu" talk (code for standing at the podium and playing with the microphone:) We told her that only Primary children who are giving a talk get to stand up there, and if she wanted to pretend to give a talk, then she could tell us things she knows about Jesus. She proceeded to talk about two of her favorite stories: When Jesus was sleeping on the boat, and it started raining, and the people were afraid and woke him and he stopped the storm . . . and when Jesus walked on the water. It was a sweet moment, and then we left and went about our day. The next morning as I was conducting Primary, Kaia suddenly got out of her seat and came up to me urgently and said, "I have to give my talk!" My heart about melted as I flashed back to the day before and realized she thought she had been practicing for a real talk--I quickly explained that the two children sitting up front were giving talks right then, and that she would get a turn another time. She went and sat back down, but as soon as the children were finished with their talks and scripture, she came up again, and asked, "now is it my turn to give my talk?" "Not today" I told her, and she went back to join her class. In retrospect, I wish I would have just let her "give her talk"! I love her enthusiasm, and hope it never fades! And we'll keep you posted--hopefully she'll get to give a talk very soon!


Kaia's new "Sunbeam dress".

4 comments:

Logan and Ashley said...

She is so cute. I wish Reid loved Primary as much as Kaia.

Jessica Simonsen Howard said...

That is such a cute story. I wish I had primary kids who were that eager to talk besides my own kids. She is a cute little sunbeam.

Johnson Family said...

primary again, huh? I think it's your destiny to be in there forever...surely because you're so good at it. What's your calling?

Kendra said...

Yes, it's my eternal calling--3rd ward, 3rd time as 2nd Counselor--maybe this time I'll get it right!